Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Visit From The Doctor

On January 20th our Internet for Educators was visited by Dr. Alec Couros via Elluminate Live!. The first thing I would like to comment on is method used for communication. Elluminate Live! is an amazing program. Being able to connect in this form would be a great resource in a classroom. I am a strong believer in guest speakers and with this technology a teacher has access to people all over the world. If you, as a teacher, are covering a topic and would love to have a guest speaker not available in your area this technology is definitely something you could look into. Another thing I found great about this technology was the ability of the speaker to share pics and videos with us. The videos he shared were awesome!!!

In terms of the information he shared with us, it was all great. With the past 2 presenters we've had we have more than enough information to start creating our PLN's, which, after seeing our last couple of presenters as well as listening to Mike, seem to be quite important/useful. The sites he shared will definitely come in handy in the future. This is another presentation I feel was too much in too little time, thankfully he shared a link to his slide show.

He shared a quote at the end of his presentation which I feel is super important, children today were raised so different from us. They are being raised in a time of technology and we need to keep up to date so we are aware of what kinds of technologies they are using and what they are using them for.

Till next time,
Lava Man

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the videos were awesome! I especially liked the video of the grade 5 choir singing "Landslide". Alec said these students came from struggling situations so I'm sure that being recognized world wide was something pretty exciting for them to accomplish! I think that when teaching, it will be important to show videos such as this, even that dont relate to your subject area because they are pretty neat to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that video was pretty incredible! I am sure those students got a lot out of it and after seeing how many people watched it, i bet they felt like rockstars! I agree with what you said tyler. I think it is very important that as teacher we try and stay up to date with the newer technologies out there. Although this may seem like a unmanageable task this technology overload gives us an opportunity to learn from our students instead of trying to simply avoid technology or "fake it".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey yeah, I forgot all about the "landside" video. Thanks for the reminder Tanis. I just remember that it was heartwarming, just like the man looking to give away free hugs. You see it is a good thing to read other people's blogs because they may write about a different topic that they remember.

    ReplyDelete